Thursday, January 22, 2009

We arrive on Sammy's b-day!


Okay, so let me rewind a bit...
Here I am on January 5th, the day Sam was born. It was 7:30 am and Brandon and I had arrived at St. Lukes Hospital in downtown Boise to do the second half of my induction.
We were SO excited! I was big as a house! I was so swollen too!
So Brandon and I get settled in our birthing room and they start the Pitocin (the drug to start my contractions) at around 8 am. By around 2 pm, my contractions were not strong enough and I wasn't really dilating, so (with some convincing on my part) the doctors finally went in a broke my water. It was a great feeling! The docs were a little concerned that I would need a cesarean if I didn't progress after that, but I was sure I would. Boy was I right. The contractions got stronger and stronger. I welcomed the pain. I just couldn't wait to meet my son. At around 3:30, I talked to my friend Debbie and she gave me the perfect advice at just the right time. She told me to let the contractions come. Don't fight them. Don't waist energy. I was alone in the room for about an hour after that and I followed her advice; breathing rhythmically through every sensation. When the nurse came back in the room at about 4:30 I had dilated from a 1 1/2 to a 6, and I was cursing Oprah on the television in front of me. That's when they decided to give me an epidural. After six painful attempts they finally managed to get the right spot and I felt a lot better.

No comments: