Sunday, November 23, 2008

1921 Singer Sewing School



Last winter I visited Salmon, Idaho and went to an auction. I bought this really cool sewing Singer sewing machine mounted in a wooden table for only $50! Ironically, I have no idea how to sew, but I thought I would learn.

Brandon's mom, Sharon is an excellent seamstress. She makes the most beautiful quilts. She offered to teach me how to use my machine, but first I had to get a belt for it. This proved to be more difficult than I thought. I called the Singer Company with my machine's serial number and I learned that my machine was made "born" 1921. I had no idea that my machine was THAT old! I was already having doubts that I would EVER learn to sew, let alone on a machine from 1921, but I did. Sharon came over and showed me how to make this really cute Christmas pillowcase. It was fun and she was very patient with me. I was so proud of myself. I'm still not very good at sewing, but I'm practicing.

No comments: